CDETB Outdoor Education Support Service
The CDETB Outdoor Education Programme dates from 1973 and is historically linked to the CDU. The programme involves bringing students into the countryside – mountains, valleys, rivers, lakes and sea – and using the outdoors as an environment for learning. In practice this is achieved through one day outings and two day expeditions.
- To develop an active and creative awareness of the amenities of the Irish countryside by introducing people of all ages into various outdoor adventurous activities – hill walking, rock climbing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, orienteering, environmental field trips, outdoor team building, etc.
- To further develop the skills of those who already have experience and to encourage their independent involvement in the activities.
- To develop a sustainable and lifelong interest in the outdoors.
- To develop an understanding and appreciation of the Irish countryside and in particular the flora and fauna of the areas we operate in.
- To assist in the training of teachers as leaders so that schools and centres may be in a position to develop their own programmes.